Fort Hunt Road meanders from Rt. 1 south of Old Town at Huntington over about 5 miles to Mount Vernon. Fort Hunt Road runs generally parallel to the George Washington Parkway where it runs south from Alexandria to Mount Vernon. Where the GW Parkway runs along the Potomac at the river’s edge, Fort Hunt road climbs up to the ridge described in detail here.
Fort Hunt is quilted with quiet neighborhoods that vary from affordable cozy condos at River Towers and Belle View to the impressive riverside residences to Arcturus or ridge-top homes of Belle Haven. Fort Hunt has all that is great in Northern Virginia. You’ll find middle-America type neighborhoods of Bucknell Manor and Waynewood in Fort Hunt, as well as architecturally distinctive and important homes at Hollin Hills.
In many ways, the area is quiet and reminiscent of a time past in Virginia. Streets lined with mature hardwoods lead to quiet homes and tranquil neighborhoods. The nearby Potomac River is a perfect neighbor and many parks are in the area. At the same time, the neighborhood is close to culture, services and employment. The neighborhood is not only close geographically, but the traffic patterns, established long before the rise of Northern Virginia’s suburbia, favor the area and are relatively free from traffic and congestion. This means that commutes are shorter by miles, but more importantly, much shorter in terms of time spent traveling.
- Contact a Realtor
- Map of real estate listed for sale in and around Fort Hunt VA
- Prices of Homes For Sale in Fort Hunt
- Types of Homes
- Zip Codes of Fort Hunt
- 22303 — North of Fort Hunt
- 22306 — West of Fort Hunt
- 22307 — Upper Fort Hunt / Belle Haven
- 22308 — Fort Hunt
- 22309 — Neighbors to the South
Neighborhoods of Fort Hunt
- Arcturus Homes For Sale
- Belle Haven Homes For Sale
- Bucknell and Groveton Homes For Sale
- Collingwood Estates
- Hollin Glen
- Hollin Hills Homes For Sale
- Hollindale Homes For Sale
- Marlan Forest Homes For Sale
- Mason Hill Homes For Sale
- New Alexandria Homes For Sale
- River Towers Condos For Sale
- Stratford Landing Homes For Sale
- Stratford on the Potomac Homes For Sale
- Villamay Homes for Sale
- Waynewood Homes For Sale
- Wellington Homes For Sale
Schools of Fort Hunt
There are two schools on Fort Hunt Road: Belle View Elementary and Carl Sandburg Middle School. (My children attended both of these schools.) The Fort Hunt area is served by numerous public and private schools and you can use this site to learn more about how those schools are rated.
Local School InformationAre you looking for information about class size, school ratings and other important school data? Do you want to know what schools serve the Fort Hunt area? Do you want to search for a home in a particular school district? [read more]
- Elementary Schools
- Aquinas Montessori School
- Belle View Elementary School
- Fort Hunt Elementary School Homes For Sale
- Groveton Elementary School
- Hollin Meadow Elementary School District
- Hybla Valley Elementary School
- Mount Eagle Elementary School
- Mount Vernon Woods
- Riverside Elementary School
- St. Aidan’s Episcopal School
- St. Louis Catholic School
- Stratford Landing Elementary School
- Waynewood Elementary School
- Woodlawn Elementary School District
- Woodley Hills Elementary School
- High Schools
- Middle Schools
- Elementary Schools
Houses, townhouses & condominiums
In this area renters and buyers can find a cross-section of homes which will suit their needs.
Types of Homes
Along Fort Hunt road one will find high-rise condo‘s, to gorgeous brick garden-apartments, townhouses, cottages, treehouse residences, single-family houses and large manors.
Shops, Parks & Restaurants
There are two neighborhood shopping centers on Fort Hunt Road: the Belle View Shopping Center and the Hollin Hall Shopping Center. Fort Hunt Park, the road’s namesake is at the lower end of the road. It’s a big advantage to live in an area where you don’t have to drive far to enjoy everything the modern world has to offer. From fast-food and dollar-stores; to warehouse restaurants and big-box stores; to gourmet restaurants and high-end boutiques, you’ll find what you need here.
This area is surrounded by urban services, high-rises and major commuter arteries. Mass Transit is well-developed and accessible from all points in the community. The Huntington Metro has 4500 parking spaces and is within walking distance of many local neighborhoods.